Children are often more prone to adults to bad habits. Whether it’s forgetting to brush their teeth twice a day, or snacking on too many unhealthy foods, it is important to help stop these bad habits from turning into big problems. At Dr. Virginia Williams’s Dental Practice, we offer a range of preventative treatments that can help prevent tooth decay and other problems.
- Fluoride therapy: like calcium in milk, fluoride is a naturally occurring substance that helps strengthen teeth. We provide professional doses of fluoride to targeted, risk areas to create a stronger barrier against tooth decay.
- Fissure sealants: some molar teeth in the back of your mouth have deep grooves that can trap plaque and other bits of food. We apply fissure sealants to help close these grooves to reduce the build-up of plaque and food and assist with brushing. For more information, click here.
- Mouthguards: professionally applied mouthguards are better fitting than over-the-counter options. They should form an integral part of any person’s sports gear, adult or child. For more information, click here.
- Scale and clean: the removal of tartar, or bacterial build-up, is essential in minimizing gingivitis and its progression to gum disease. It can also fight bad breath.
- Oral hygiene instruction: not everyone’s teeth is suited to ‘circular brushing’. Some of us have gaps in our teeth, or teeth that are rotated out of position. These are a myriad of brushing and flossing techniques that are useful in certain situations. We can help teach and educate you on which methods would be particularly effective in your circumstance.
- Dietary analysis: labels on modern foods can often be confusing, making healthy eating more difficult than expected. We can assist in identifying risk foods and drinks that may be contributing towards your dental problems.
Not all these preventative options are needed, nor does everyone need these treatments. At Dr. Virginia Williams’s Dental Practice, we can advise you on which options are most suitable for you and your child. You can make an appointment with us on (03) 5331 9285.